Wednesday 10 February 2010

Floral Monotypes - how

I've had a fantastic response to my floral monotypes since posting them on Facebook with some enquiries as to how I made them so here is an explanation.

  1. One 20 x 20 cm aluminium plate rolled up with a background colour.
  2. With some backgrounds I also rolled up a piece of wall paper with a stripy raised pattern in a contrasting colour and pressed it into the surface. With others I used an almost but not quite dry brush dipped lightly in white spirit with most of the white spirit dabbed off on a rag.
  3. I cut a number of simple flower shaped templates.
  4. I inked each one up in different colours. (I don't bother too much with keeping colours separate as I like the way they blend together when rolled out.)
  5. I used the same wallpaper technique as I did with the backgrounds on some flowers.
  6. I placed the flower templates on the background plate choosing between them to get the composition I wanted so not always using all the templates I inked up.
  7. The flower templates quite often were laid outside of the edge of the plate. 
  8. Initially I printed the whole composition on a larger piece of paper (Surrey 180 gm cream) but I wasn't pleased with the results of some and in experimenting with further layers of transfer drawing I cut the prints down to the size of the plate.
  9. This seemed to work better so on subsequent prints I cut the paper to plate size.
  10. What I liked best was after the initial print when I lifted off the template for re-inking there were these lovely shadowy shapes left on the plate so each new print was informed by the previous print and developed out of the ghost image left behind.
  11. I moved from using Surrey 180 gm to BFK Rives (dry not damp) and then to Somerset Satin (because we seemed to have run out of BFK Rives).  
If anyone has any questions just ask.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...