Thursday 29 April 2010

Musing on some ideas for this blog.

This morning, I don't know why I was musing about this whilst in the shower, I get my ideas in the strangest places, at the strangest times, I was wondering how to get more interaction with people who come across my blog or follow it. A couple of my recent postings where I have described how I created the images I posted seemed to get a higher volume of traffic and a couple of favourable comments.

In addition I was looking at a blog I follow ,'Dog Daisy Chains' by Jackie (?) and she is currently getting followers to submit their own handwritten blogs which she is pulling together on her website.

So, I thought, us printmakers, we are always fascinated to know how other printmakers create the images they make. You can, after all, pick up the basic skills but each and everyone find ways and means of making those skills our own to achieve the images we make.

So here is my idea.

Starting now for the month of May I'd like to have a focus on Monotype and different takes on the medium. Choose an image you really like that you made in this medium, write a post describing your methods in achieving the outcome and upload it on to your blog. (If you don't have your own blog you might like to send me an image and a posting with your details and I'll post it on mine.)

Link your blog to mine so everyone else can see, let me know that you are taking part by leaving a comment on my blog and hopefully we will get lots of amazing monotype images and the printmakers methodology so share and inspire each other to try out and make their own. In fact, if that happens, it would be great if having picked up on one printmakers approach you then make your own prints and post them so we can see how it grows and develops.

I will create a list on my blog with a link to your blog. Does that make sense? If it takes off in June I'll change the media to something new - Maybe you could tell me what media your would like to see next.

10 comments:

Jackie said...

Thank you for the link. This is such a lovely idea and I feel honoured that I may have in some small way inspired it.

Unknown said...

Great idea, Carol - I'll see what I can do and let you know!

Unknown said...

Done! Here's my contribution on my blog, burnishings:

Printmaking How To - Monotypes

Elana Goren said...

I love your idea, Carol. Here's a link to my blog, Spider Ink Studio, with my monotype description.

Unknown said...

Carol - Here's another "how to" from another artist, Bruce Waldman, that I'd posted on my blog before (I'd not forgotten the post, but had forgotten that it had his "how to" in it!!).

And Elana Goren at Spider Ink Studio has another one for your list (although I'm sure she'll let you know directly)!!

Gail Brodholt said...

Happy to do one on linocuts sometime - what a great idea !

ian said...

A nice idea. Funnily enough I took my camera to may last print making session, but then forgot all about it after taking a picture of the inks laid out for use. I'll definitely be taking part.

Aijung Kim said...

Hi! Here's a bit of the process on how to make a Gelatin Print on my blog. It's not a very comprehensive tutorial, but enough to give you an idea: http://aijungkim.blogspot.com/2010/05/gelatin-printmaking-process.html

Lesley said...

Hi,
Here's my 2-penneth worth..
at Jaunty Rakes

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. I can't contribute this time round as I have never done a Monotype. But I have been reading all the other "How To's" that are posted and have learned so much. It's a great idea. I'd love to see collographs next and I will be able to contribute a post. Love your blog Carol. Jo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...